Following the installation of our micropiles, we turned our focus to getting the remainder of our foundations prepped for concrete. This included the steel concrete reinforcement, our steel subsurface structures that our towers would eventually anchor to, and the creation of the concrete forms themselves. The first thing that needed to get done before the major rebar work could be performed was the placement of the subsurface steel. And that meant we had to assemble it!
Each side’s subsurface assembly would consist of two (2) bases, 44 threaded rods, plus some significant hardware. The placement of the threaded rods was critical (more on this later), so the top of each assembly would also have a template to help ensure that everything was held perfectly in place while the concrete cured.
The steel rods are 2” in diameter and weigh about 50 pounds each. The bottom of each rod needed two nuts, one inside the frame and one outside. These nuts were each about 3 1/2” across, weighed 3 lbs. each, and needed to be torqued to 2,500 lbs. Naturally we just did that by hand…okay, by hand with a super cool specialized hydraulic torque wrench!
After the rods were secured to the frame and torqued down, we did a little Quality Control (QC). Each rod and hardware set was marked at the location it was supposed to stay. We still needed to torque down the top nuts, do a little transport, and then place the assembly into the hole. Even though odds were slim that anything would move, it’s better to know for sure that everything is secured and in place than to assume, right? Right.
The next step was to place the templates at the top of the rods. These templates aligned the rods to the positions they would need to be in when the big towers at each end needed to be placed down on them (a few steps later). If even one rod out of the total 44 rods per assembly was out of the tolerance range, the entire tower would not fit into place. No pressure!
MEANWHILE, AT THE ABUTMENTS…
…the concrete forms were being put into place by our General Contractor Mike Walston of MCW Construction. And these things were beefy! Made from 2x10 lumber and heavily reinforced, these forms would each eventually hold hundreds of thousands of pounds of concrete. We’ll save the exact number for later.
But you didn’t think we would move forward without our QC, did you? Before anything went into the holes after the forms were set, we brought out our surveyor to triple check that the placement of the forms themselves was correct, and that the alignment of the East and West foundations - about 700’ feet apart on two separate hillsides of Crockett Mountain, mind you - was within acceptable design tolerance. Once again we were pleased with the results. After weeks of drilling, digging, tamping, and carpentry on two separate sites on the side of a mountain, it was estimated that the difference in elevation of the two forms was…a little less than one half inch. Boom.
AND NOW, BACK TO THE LAYDOWN AREA!
Once the templates were placed onto the tops of the assemblies, it was time to load them onto the trailer for transport from the laydown area over to the abutments. There, the two main parts of each tower’s subsurface assembly had angle iron placed across the top and secured onto the top of the templates. This had two functions. First, it held the subsurface at the correct position so that the rods would align with the holes in the tower baseplates. Second, the angle supported the subsurface assembly from above so that it would be installed at the appropriate depth within the foundation’s concrete.
Once the angle was on and secured, everything was checked and double checked, and everyone was ready…we lifted the subsurface into place.
So, when all was said and done, each abutment had one of these monster subsurface assemblies placed inside the forms. Each assembly weighs in at about 4,500 lbs. WITHOUT adding in the top template, top angle that tied everything together, and the associated template hardware - all that would come off later for the placement of the towers. In addition to the two main foundations, we also had four small assemblies and forms to complete, one per wind guy foundation. And those went smoothly, too.
SPECIAL THANK YOU: While the project was far from complete at this stage, we just can’t move on to the next part of the story without recognizing our GC, Mr. Mike Walston. Mike’s workmanship, attention to detail, and insistence on constant precision is second to none. This project just wouldn’t have been the same without Mike and his crew, and it was an absolute pleasure to partner with them. Thanks, guys!
NEXT UP: Rebar, Sensors, & Concrete Pours